The owner of the 882-892 Mass Ave block, recent home of Toraya and Thana Thai restaurants and of ACMi’s studio B, is proposing to tear down the block and build a mixed use condo development with a small store front. You can follow along meeting minutes and news stories below. Track this project’s Docket #3625 on my Redevelopment Board Meeting Tracker with links to designs, or read my preliminary blog post about the 882 Mass Ave project.
Sources below are from: town committees, town budgets/finance, news sites, or citizen groups or blogs
- 4-1 vote on plan near AHS shows challenges board faces as it follows its authority
YourArlington took a close look at the meaning behind the 4-1 vote on July 20 to approve one controversial project, in the block across from Arlington High School.
- The New Normal and the Arlington Redevelopment Board: When Zoning Bylaws become Optional
ARFRR details serious issues with ARB’s meeting on 882 Mass Ave / Toraya block redevelopment.
- Altered Mass. Ave. block proposal to return July 20
The developers of the business block across from Arlington High School came back with a fresh plan, but it drew a new series of questions, and they expected to return with responses July 20.
- They're Baaaack... - Hotel Lexington (VII) and the Toraya Block Tear Down
ARFRR provides a detailed look and criticism of developer’s detailed plans for both proposals.
- Redevelopment Board continued hearing on Docket # 3625 for 882-892 Massachusetts Avenue
Agenda of Redevelopment Board meeting on Docket # 3625 (Proposed condos/apartments in Toraya/Thana Thai block) with significantly updated plans.
- Mass. Ave., hotel developers told to come back in July
Those questioning development were out in force virtually at the Monday, May 18, as Redevelopment Board members listened and weighed in with their own sharp views. Two votes summed up those opinions: Return to the board in July with clearer focuses.
- Redevelopment Board meeting on Docket # 3625 for 882-892 Massachusetts Avenue
Agenda of Redevelopment Board meeting on Docket # 3625 (Proposed condos/apartments in Toraya/Thana Thai block})
- Toraya closes as 22-apartment project planned for block
A two-decade favorite for sushi has closed because it lost its lease, though it hopes to reopen in another space, Boston Restaurant Talk reports.
- Toraya Restaurant in Arlington Loses Lease, Closes; Hopes to Open in New Location
According to several sources, including a tweet from @mrboboto, Toraya Restaurant in Arlington has shuttered, with the website for the Mass. Ave dining spot saying that ‘Our landlord has let us know that they are planning to demolish the building’…