UPDATE Please see https://mutualaidarlington.org for more current information!
All Library Facilities Closed
All Minuteman Library Network libraries are now closed due to COVID-19 health issues. So it’s time to think outside the library, for online resources, or break down and buy used books if you can afford it!
Online Library Resources
With your library card (NOTE: local libraries offer free online signup for a new card!), you can still read books on your devices:
- NEW! Robbins Library cards can now get a free Hoopla account for reading books online if you sign up!
- See Boston Public Library online resources like Kanopy, Hoopla, and lynda.com.
- Try the Minuteman Overdrive application to read on your device!
- Or see the newer Libby library reader app for Android/iPhone.
- Don’t have a library card, or lost yours? Register for a new Minuteman library number online or get a BPL eCard online!
- There are over a dozen Free Little Libraries scattered around Arlington, for book trading with neighbors.
Many people are collecting lists of online learning resources, here’s one giant list to start with:
Several local bookstores now offer delivery or pickup.
- The Book Rack is closed to customers, will be doing online orders starting Tuesday
- Belmont Books, in downtown Belmont, offers free delivery on $25 orders
- Book Ends in Winchester center appears open still
- Porter Square Books also offers free shipping on some orders
- Harvard Book Store also offers free shipping, and is open reduced hours
There are also several great online used bookstores that have great prices and selection - if you’re desperate for new books, but don’t want to pay Amazon or Barnes & Noble prices, check out Better Worlds Books (my referral link for $5 off a $30 order, they’re a certified B corporation!), Abe Books, or ALibris for ideas.
Other Great Resources? Send In Updates!
If you have other good resources - especially from government sources
or with serious scientific backing - please send them in, I’ll update this.
Similarly, if you are working on a resource list, or have a volunteer list to help people stuck at home, let me know and I can link it.
If you’re on Github’: just click “Propose change on GitHub” to make a PR. Otherwise, email email@example.com with your suggestions.
Thanks for reading!